First Time Attendee

Looking to play games at Gamehole Con? Look no further than this forum! Post requests or gauge interest!

First Time Attendee

Postby onathanWoolums » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi all, this November will be my wife and my's first time attending Gamehole Con, although we've been to GeekKon in Middleton a few times previously. Never having attended before, I'm a bit confused by the Events. I understand that basically they're a way to sign up to play a particular game at a particular time, but other than that and visiting the exhibitor hall, what else do you do at the con? Is there open gaming available outside of the events (just show up, find a group, play a game)? Are there sessions and panels by the various special guests? Also, what exactly does John Kovalic's Dorkstock consist of?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: First Time Attendee

Postby Kroad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 am

Welcome! Happy to try and answer these.

Most of the con happenings are indeed listed as registered events. I've certainly seen folks grab tables and play games outside of those, but there isn't really a ton of open gaming space unless you go back to the hotel. They've have some podcasts, demos and performers in the main hall each year, but I've never seen a schedule posted for that in advance. You could probably email and ask. Otherwise Madison is a nice town, the convention center isn't really close to much of note, but you can easily go offsite for a few hours for a meal or a stroll downtown or around the lake.

Sessions and panels are listed under the events. Just select the filter you want. The Charity Events typically have spectators and the DND Extra Life ones promise to be amusing as does the Dungeon Bastard one.

Dorkstock appears to be a gaming group running events inspired by the Dork Tower comic. Search "Dork" in events. I don't know if there is more to it than that.

Re: First Time Attendee

Postby skilletaudio » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 am

Also a first time attendee and I reached out to the con for a better picture of what's going on, and what the hours are. The summary of info I received was:

• Convention hall closes at midnight
  • Dealer Hall is open from 10-6 every day
  • Demo Row is open during hall hours
  • There is a freely accessible games library for take-and-play and a open play space.
  • Kids activities include a miniature painting activity, balloons and face painting in addition to the ticketed Kids Track events.

And, as we know from the site, the main hotels in the area will be opening play space as well for social gaming, which I hope to take advantage of.

With this feedback Im hopefully going to find theres plenty to see and do when walking around between event slots, as it was stressed to me that the con isnt just ticketed events.

Return to Player Discussions