Question about pregens...

Looking to play games at Gamehole Con? Look no further than this forum! Post requests or gauge interest!

Question about pregens...

Postby tcervo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:14 pm

I've pre-registered for 3 different 5e AL games. None of them mention pregens, so does that mean I have to bring my own? Do they all have to be different characters? (Two of the games are level 5-10, the other is 1-4.)
USER_AVATAR
tcervo

Re: Question about pregens...

Postby Scott308 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm assuming these are Adventurers League games. I believe there will be pre-gens for the 1-4 level game, but if you have a legal character you may play that. For the higher level games, you are required to have your own legal character, who can be the same for both games (Don't die!). If you are playing in non-Adventurers League games, there should be pre-gens unless the description specifies differently.

I think this is all accurate. I'm sure there will be someone who knows a bit more about the AL games that will correct me if I am wrong or missed anything.
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby tcervo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:27 am

Great, thanks. Yes, these are AL games. I'll make sure to have characters just in case.
USER_AVATAR
tcervo

Postby pterodactling » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:56 am

You can't just make a 5th-level character. So if you don't already have one (that you've brought up from first level), you won't be able to play in the higher-tiered games.
pterodactling

Postby sschrupp » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:22 am

pterodactling wrote:You can't just make a 5th-level character. So if you don't already have one (that you've brought up from first level), you won't be able to play in the higher-tiered games.

Just so I know for the future, how would anyone know whether you played a character in AL games from 1-5? Is there some sort of tracking database or something?

And for the 1-4 games, if you bring your own character does it have to be level 1, or can it be level 4? We'll probably just use pregens but since we've never played in an AL game we're curious what to expect.
sschrupp

Postby Scott308 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:05 pm

Well...when you play an Adventurers League game, you log your XP and treasure. There isn't an online database, so it is possible for someone to create a character that is higher level. However, there are strict requirements for character creation, so it is highly likely someone would not follow those requirements and it would be noticed. And if not noticed, the person playing the character would really just be cheating themselves, as it would limit the games they would be able to play with that character as they would quickly hit the next tier. Unfortunately, if someone really wants to cheat while playing an RPG, there is plenty of opportunity to do so. These games run on the honor system. It would be easy to not subtract hp when being injured, adding an extra plus to a die roll, or casting a spell you don't have memorized.

As for the games for 1-4 level characters, you can play a character of any level in that range if it is an Adventurers League legal character that was leveled up through play. You cannot create a character of any level but first. It is possible you will have first level characters while someone else may have a fourth level character. That is expected. The level ranges are so that you are able to play a sufficient number of games to level up your character, but it will not be seriously unbalanced by having a character of significantly higher or lower level in the group. If you have a magic user with the ability to cast Fireball, he will make short work of what should have been a challenging combat encounter designed for a lower level group.
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby sschrupp » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:21 am

Ok great, thanks for the clarification!
sschrupp

Return to Player Discussions