How were your games?

Looking to play games at Gamehole Con? Look no further than this forum! Post requests or gauge interest!

How were your games?

Postby VengerSatanis » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Ok, players. This one's for you.

How did it go? Anything memorable, awesome, strange, noteworthy... cringe-worthy, perhaps? I especially want to know (without naming names) what went incredibly right and wrong with the games you played. So, let's read about all the GM epic wins and fails. Your feedback is invaluable!

Thanks,

VS
My old school gaming blog: http://vengersatanis.blogspot.com/
VengerSatanis

Re: How were your games?

Postby Scott308 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:51 pm

The games were all pretty great. I played with Ed Greenwood, which was awesome, especially when he told me I solved a puzzle faster than anyone ever had in that game (yay me!). BEASTMASTERS OF YAGGA-MOR! by the Dungeon Bastard was an absolute blast! Crrrraaaaaaaaazy game! Just when you thought it was over-the-top, it went even more overer-the-topper! Cannot recommend playing in his games highly enough. (I mean his games suck, don't sign up for them-- at least not until I claim my spot :D ) Saturday night, my dice decided they hated me. I played KISS-Tastrophe, which was a Marvel Super Heroes game and as such only uses percentage dice. Towards the end, it didn't matter which die I used as my tens die, it would roll 0. Old dice, new dice I got at the con- made no difference. I had far more single-digit rolls than humanly possible in that game- I pretty much was reduced to a meat shield as everything I tried failed in the last half-hour of the game, but it was still a lot of fun. Michael Browne's games are always interesting to see, this was the first I had actually played in. (And having Harold Johnson playing Peter Criss didn't hurt). I pretty much enjoyed every game I played, but for various reasons, these were the gaming moments that stand out the most for me.

The one negative I had was a game where character creation took up way too much of the slotted time. Pregens (multiple copies if running the game more than once) would have been immensely helpful. If we are going to be expected to create characters, please mention it in the description so we can bring a character or try to look over options in advance so we at least have some idea what we want to play.
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby VengerSatanis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:53 am

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I enjoyed the one game I played in, DCC with Michael Curtis and think I ran a game on Saturday (The Islands of Purple-Haunted Putrescence using 5e) but... it was also a bit of a learning experience - I'm a bit of a convention game noob. Those who said anything after the session ended said positive things, though that might have been more politeness than anything else. Wish I could talk to them post-con, ask them questions, etc.

VS
VengerSatanis

Postby stahlnee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Great experience overall. Looking forward to attending next year.

Ran in the same game Scott spoke about earlier. It would be beneficial if event descriptions indicated pre-gens or bring a character of xyz. We spent 1 1/2 hrs doing character generation out of a 4 hr slot.
stahlnee

Postby VengerSatanis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:57 pm

I actually budgeted enough time for character creation - 6 hour slot. That only took an hour, even with my extra steps, random backstory tables, etc. Next time, I'll just do 4 hours with pre-gens. Trying to fill that extra hour with cool, exciting adventure kind of backfired on me.

VS
VengerSatanis

Postby Psyco » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:38 am

I loved GameHoleCon! I am definitely planning on returning next year and running at least one game if I am able.

As to my specific games, I don't know if I could have had a better experience. My planned D&D 5E session was great with a good group of guys and a knowledgeable DM. I was intending to snoop on Chris Perkins Sunday morning when he ran Lost Mines of Phandelver and pick up some DM tips from a pro. Instead, because they were a player down they invited me in; thus, I got to play with Chris Perkins (said as geekily and high-pitched as possible)!

In terms of games, the highlight had to be the Lords of Waterdeep Tournament. I played well, but that wasn't why it was so great. Each and every guy that I played with was super nice, incredibly inviting, and gracious enough to deal with me, a person who likes to ask about people's personal lives as well as play. I would pay a much larger amount of money just to sit and chat with those same guys for 6 hours because they were all great. So I send a big thank you to Scott, Jesse, Brandon, Mark, the brothers (whose names I can't remember), Alex, and everyone else I missed that was involved.
USER_AVATAR
Psyco

Postby wjaehnig » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:27 pm

My games were great! I played 6 sessions of D&D 5e and then was in one of Ed Greenwood's 2e games.

I don't have a regular gaming group so I try to get as many games as I can in at the conventions I go to. I'm mostly playing the D&D Expeditions adventures. I did get a spot in Chris Perkins' Lost Mine of Phandelver game on Saturday morning, which was a real treat. And then of course being in a game DM'ed by Ed Greenwood is always highly entertaining. Plus I made it to a couple seminars as well.

I keep telling myself to try some other (non-D&D) games too but I ran out of time. Next time I'd like to try some board games.
wjaehnig

Return to Player Discussions