Types of events

Post here if you're a GM looking to run a game at Gamehole Con!

Types of events

Postby Stefredmann » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 am

I am interested in running a session or four. Knowing that the intro of D&D Next is going to be a big thing in the second half of the year, I'm almost a bit hesitant to even suggest 4e. However I know there are aficionados out there. I am somewhat familiar with the play test packet, but in the likely event that the 5th Ed is big, I'm sure I will have enough to go on. I could also moderate several board games, including Conquest of Nerath, Lords of Waterdeep, A Study in Emerald, several versions in the Empire Builder line from Mayfair, Arkham Horror, and Mansions of Madness. I may be able to talk my brother into running/ moderating the latter two as well, if there seems to be interest. I'm wondering how long of blocks are standard?
Stefredmann

Re: Types of events

Postby akammer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:12 am

That is a good question. Our standard slot time will be two hours. If you are going to submit an event, we need it to last at least approximately 2 hours. This should accomodate most board games. If you want to run something longer, great! It becomes a two, three or whatever slot game.

Given that our Con has been selected as one of the six nation wide to receive exclusive D&D Organized Play content, I agree with you that 5e stuff is going to be big this year. It most likely will have its own dedicated hall at our Con, for example. However, that is no reason to shy away from 4e. You are absolutely right that there are still a lot of 4e fans out there. We would like to see every edition represented.

All of your proposed games sound great and we hope that you will submit a raft of events after event submission opens on April 1st.

Thanks for the post!
USER_AVATAR
akammer

Postby Scott308 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 pm

I am definitely interested in A Study in Emerald!
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby smoth333 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:21 am

Scott308 wrote:I am definitely interested in A Study in Emerald!

I am going to GM this on Friday night (Slot 7 - 8 PM).
smoth333

Postby Scott308 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Cool! I've not played this but it looks good. How long does a game take?
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby smoth333 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Scott308 wrote:Cool! I've not played this but it looks good. How long does a game take?

Well, I've played and taught it on four nights. Two of those we got in one game in about three hours (counting explanation) and the other two we finished in two hours and immediately played a second game. All have been with five players that do not tend to be AP prone. Each game is different based on what cards are in play (only about 2/3 to 3/4 of the cards are used in each game and only 12 of the 48 cards are available at any given time) so I imagine there could be some setups that lend themselves to faster or slower games. I submitted it for a four hour slot to cover the long end of the spectrum.

Great game though that our group has enjoyed immensely so far, with positive feedback from all 10 people that have played. In fact two people purchased their own copy after playing it for the first time to use with other groups!
smoth333

Return to GM Discussions