Yearly con art

This is where we'll talk about any upcoming Gamehole Con Announcements and discuss things relating to the convention directly.

Yearly con art

Postby mkrajew » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for bringing a tabletop gaming con to Madison! I wholeheartedly think it's a wonderful idea and that you guys are doing everything you can do for your attendees to have a great time. Thanks for that.

I would like to bring up an issue that has bugged me for awhile though. The convention has continually stated that you are all about the tabletop gamer, of all types. This would encompass RPGers, card gamers, war gamers, board gamer, etc.

I think you are attempting to do that at the con, however all the logo and website artwork since the beginning has been strictly geared toward fantasy RPG which is a huge turnoff to me. Skeletons, swords, heros, and now for next year an ugly winged monster with eyes on his hands. It would be nice to have artwork which could incorporate some of the other styles of games. As mostly a board gamer, there are all sorts of themes used and the art seems like such a narrow focus. Even many of the big names announcements seem to gear more towards RPGs.

Please consider in the future broadening your appeal in terms of the audience that is attending your con. I realize that art is subjective and many of the attendees probably love this art. I also don't think that it's bad art, I just think it doesn't encompass your entire audience and can be a turnoff for many. Mixing some of this style with other art would also be a nice change. Thanks for listening!
mkrajew

Re: Yearly con art

Postby akammer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Interesting. Not an Arkham Horror fan eh? I am kidding.

Our art does not try to have an RPG focus. In fact, you are the first person that has ever suggested that it does. What we are trying to capture is the old school feel of early gaming products. It was these products, such as D&D, which birthed all the games that you and I now love.

But, I get your point.

We are certainly not trying to promote one type of game over another. And when it comes to news, there is just more news on the RPG side of things than compared to really any other genre. That is just the reality.

And, we did have some big board game news this year. For example, we got Arcane Wonders to come. They were by far our biggest publisher represented at our Con. Not only that, but they sold copies of Sheriff on Nottingham at our Con before the game was even released. We had some of our game store exhibitors buy copies from them for this very reason.

Beyond that, for 2015, we have at least three board game specific special guests lined up. Stay tuned on that as we will be announcing that soon.

Finally, we cannot control what games are submitted to us by you all to run at Gamehole Con. We would like to see more variety as well. We did much better with this this year than last. We hope that tons of board games get submitted for 2015 to match our strong RPG presence.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Alex
USER_AVATAR
akammer

Postby mkrajew » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Thank you for listening :) Like I said, I don't think it's any sort of intentional slight on any certain types of gamers. Just something to think about as you move forward.

I've had some friends see the logo and be turned away due to thinking the con is all about something it's not. I can assure you I'm not the only one that thinks this, just perhaps one of the first to say it. Just a suggestion that your logo does have an impact on who is going to attend, though with the news that you're continually growing you are doing well as it is! Congrats on your success!
mkrajew

Postby mkrajew » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm

akammer wrote:Beyond that, for 2015, we have at least three board game specific special guests lined up. Stay tuned on that as we will be announcing that soon.

Oh and I forgot to comment on this. This is great news :)
mkrajew

Return to Gamehole Con Announcements