RPG Session Questions

This is where we'll talk about any upcoming Gamehole Con Announcements and discuss things relating to the convention directly.

RPG Session Questions

Postby CallistoLexx » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:26 am

Hi there. I'm signed up for a couple of RPG sessions, one Dragon Age and the other D&D 5E. It will be my first time playing either. My question is, are we to come with characters we've created ourselves or are we to play characters pre-created by the GMs? I'm cool with either, I'd just like to know whether I should put a lot of time into my own before the con or not.

As a side note, I hope it's okay that despite being in my 30s, I've joined one that said younger players welcome because I wanted to start off slowly and at the time I didn't understand how to create leveled-up characters (though I have since received my players guides and have figured it out). I'm really looking forward to both sessions.

Thanks!
USER_AVATAR
CallistoLexx

Re: RPG Session Questions

Postby Scott308 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Generally at conventions, pregens are provided. Sometimes the description will make that clear but not always. Most DMs do not allow players to bring characters because they can tailor pregens to the adventure and do not have to worry about someone with an overpowered character or magic item. If the DM wants (or will allow) players to bring their own, they will mention it. Sometimes they may have other notes for players, such as Jim Ward, who will say something like, "Bring a list of 10 normal items you would like your character to have." If there is something like that listed, you want to make sure you follow the instructions and are ready to go when you sit at the table.

The huge exception to the pregens is if you are playing an official organized play campaign where you are expected to keep playing the same character in multiple games. The examples of this at Gamehole this year are the Pathfinder Society games and the D&D 5e Adventurers League games, which is what you are playing, correct? There should be pregens provided for the games for characters of 1-4 levels. If you wish to bring your own character for a 1-4 level game, that is fine. Just make sure it is a legal character, as there are specific rules required for creating characters for the Adventurers League. If you are playing a higher level game, you will be required to bring your own character that has advanced through playing the lower level adventures.

You can go to http://dndadventurersleague.org to download the Players Guide for the current season so you can create a character to bring with you if you wish.

If the game description says younger players welcome, then the game is open to players of all ages. There are a few games that will specify that they are a kids only game, but younger players welcome just signifies that the game doesn't have content that would be inappropriate for younger players and that the DM is fine with children playing. Some may not wish to have younger players in their games.
akammer wrote:Scott is absolutely right.
Scott308

Postby CallistoLexx » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:01 am

Thank you very much. That helps immensely and I very much appreciate it. :)
USER_AVATAR
CallistoLexx

Postby jpudewell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 am

In addition to the Pathfinder Society games and the D&D 5e Adventurers League, there are about 8 or so Shadowrun Missions sessions being run this year. Those have the same general flavor as the Pathfinder Society and the Adventurers League - you have a character that you play across a bunch of sessions that are maybe loosely connected and your character can only get credit for each adventure once.

I'm going to be playing in 4 sessions of Shadowrun at GameHoleCon this year and I'm really looking forward to it. I have almost NO idea what character to bring though.
jpudewell

Return to Gamehole Con Announcements